Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Bumbleberry Pie

    
     Basically this is for when you can't decide which kind of pie you want to make. Some people may call this pie a mixed berry pie and although that is what it is, I think when baked together it's almost like you get one really exciting berry. That's why I prefer the name "Bumble berry".
     For a bumble berry pie, by definition you need to have at least three types of berries. I chose Blackberries, strawberries, and blueberries. Now because I like to throw something that you might not expect it. I also added apples. Usually when baking (or eating, actually) I go with Granny Smith. However, walmart wasn't correctly collaborated with me that day, so when I went at the last minute to get some of my favorite apples, they were mostly out and what they had left, weren't that appetizing. So simple because I have problems with deciding, I chose the cheapest, which at the time was Golden Delicious :) It was nice to do something different for once, so I wasn't too disappointed. However, if I go next time and they have my granny smith... then I'm going back to them :)
     When I first started making pie, I automatically started making mixed pies. Making a simple apple pie didn't seem quite exciting enough for me. So, my first pie was actually an apple strawberry pie. Making that actually encouraged me to make a bumble berry pie. I like it when flavors work together to create a different flavor. Baking and experimenting with baking is one of the things that bring me most joy in the world. So, pie for me... means happiness :) but then doesn't it for everyone? ;)
    
     Pie is one of those things that you decided right then and there what is good for a pie. I don't really understand recipes for pie. I've simple been experimenting each time trying to figure out which way makes the best pie in my opinion. I like my apples crunchy in a pie, but as my Daddy mentioned, most people wouldn't like them totally crunchy. So I tried to find a happy medium. Cooking them over heat with sugar, lemon juice, a little flour and some cinnamon really does the trick. I make sure not to overcook the filling because I don't want it to become much :/
     As for the rest of the fruit I make sure not to mix them up to much. I don't want them to get smashed and squeeze out all of the juice. Just sprinkle about 1/4 cup of sugar over top and toss it coating them evenly and then letting them sit to release some of the natural juices. 


     Aren't those colors beautiful? When it cooks it turns into a purple shade which I think is perfect for the title "Bumble berry". I see purple when I think Bumble berry :)


     For a lattice top I start by laying them out evenly(ish) and then I work the other way half of it at a time. This part isn't as time consuming as you might think and I think it's well worth the look. Everybody loves a lattice topped pie :)


     This picture already has a slice in it, thanks to my boyfriend. He was getting excited about this pie. I can't blame him, but is it too much to ask for just one picture?

     Because I'm a little bit of a weirdo... I accidentally made pie on Pi day. 3/14/13. 3.14! I only realized this afterwards but was pleasantly surprised to find out that I actually had made this pie on pi day. Oh the irony...

     Whether you just want to make pie or it's for a special occasion (like Pi day), then I would suggest a classic bumble berry (or mixed berry) pie!  Too bad that pie is gone now... Oh well! I guess it's just time for me to make another one!

No comments:

Post a Comment